Renovation and expansion plans for the Leeward YMCA were developed as part of the YMCA of Honolulu’s initiative to upgrade and reposition five of their Oahu facilities. Several historic structures remaining from Oahu Sugar Company’s 1898 Waipahu Mill were incorporated into the adaptive reuse master plan.
The YMCA of Honolulu purchased two acres of the site in 1997 as a new home for its Leeward branch operations. In 1998 Oahu Sugar donated two additional acres on the condition that the mill’s original generator building and remaining smokestack be preserved.
As a result of this project, the main building now consists of the historic generator structure and a major two-story addition totaling 35,500 square feet. The generator building’s primary space-more than 24 feet high to the bottom of its roof trusses-allowed for creation of a two-level fitness center. The addition contains the main entry, reception desk, lounge, child watch area, classroom, conference room, offices, administrative support and building service spaces, men’s and women’s locker room facilities and a special needs locker room.
The project also included a heated six-lane swimming pool with large terrace, parking for 161 vehicles and improved landscaping which incorporates many of the site’s existing trees.
2008 KUKULU HALE AWARD
Renovation Project of the Year – Non Profit NAIOP Hawaii Chapter
2007 HISTORIC PRESERVATION HONOR AWARD
In Recognition of the Preservation, Rehabilitation and Adaptive Reuse of the Oahu Sugar Company Waipahu Mill into a YMCA Fitness Center Historic Hawaii Foundation
2007 EXCELLENCE IN FACILITIES AWARD
YMCA of the USA